[CentOS] Disappearing Network Manager config scripts

Thu May 1 18:55:36 UTC 2014
Steve Clark <sclark at netwolves.com>

On 05/01/2014 01:45 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On 05/01/2014 10:56 AM, Steve Clark wrote:
>> I feel for you then. I guess we have been lucky in the 6 or 7 hardware
>> platforms we have used that the nics ( minimum 3, usually 4 or more )
>> have always stayed the same names in the same order.
> That's actually an illusion.  If the detection pulls it up in a
> different order, then by MAC address it will get put in the old order,
> at least with EL6.  Here's a 'grep' excerpt showing the fun:
> ++++++++++
> Apr 21 14:39:25 www kernel: udev: renamed network interface eth0 to rename2
> Apr 21 14:39:25 www kernel: udev: renamed network interface eth1 to rename3
> Apr 21 14:39:25 www kernel: udev: renamed network interface eth2 to eth0
> Apr 21 14:39:25 www kernel: udev: renamed network interface eth3 to eth1
> Apr 21 14:39:25 www kernel: udev: renamed network interface rename3 to eth3
> Apr 21 14:39:25 www kernel: udev: renamed network interface rename2 to eth2
> ++++++++++

Like I said in the part you snipped after we clone the drive I always do:

Yep, do it all the time - first two thing I do are:
rm -f /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
rm -r /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth*
and then reboot.

The above makes them be rediscovered on the reboot.

The lan ports are numbered on the back of the unit and I have never had them
not come up in the correct order - In fact it would cause us untold grief it
they did.

I forgot to add this is over 750 systems.

--
Stephen Clark
*NetWolves Managed Services, LLC.*
Email: steve.clark at netwolves.com