[CentOS] Disappearing Network Manager config scripts

Sun May 4 23:22:52 UTC 2014
Evan Rowley <rowley.evan at gmail.com>

When I started this thread a week ago, I certainly did not expect this many
replies. Without a doubt it seems Network Manager is a controversial topic.
I still haven't worked out my Network Manager woes and just lost an hour
troubleshooting a Golang webserver which wouldn't start.

Apparently in Golang's net package, there is a DNS resolver function that's
called whenever a server is started. That function depends on a working
/etc/resolv.conf - As per usual, the /etc/resolv.conf file turned out to be
the blank template NetworkManager always creates. The webserver starts now,
but this /etc/resolv.conf will certainly be blown away by NetworkManager
the next time the network service restarts.

I have one idea as to why this problem persists. This file:

ll /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

-rw-r--r--. 1 root root    44 Apr 26 22:21 ifcfg-eth0

Is it meant to be executable? Being a configuration file, I'm assuming it
doesn't need to be. Am I wrong?