[CentOS] Format big drives (4TB) in the installer?

Wed May 7 18:36:29 UTC 2014

Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> On 05/07/2014 05:31 PM, CS_DBA wrote:
>> Thanks for the advice, can someone point me to a good step by step how
to per setting up a RAID 10 volume per the parted & GPT tools?

> You might find this usefull, text on official CentOS Facebook group. GPT
is separate from RAID's, so GPT is not covered, but RAID part should be
the same:
> https://www.facebook.com/notes/centos/software-raid-on-rhel-6/10151254589767728
>
> Original text is here:
> https://linux.dell.com/files/whitepapers/Software_RAID_on_Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_v6.pdf
>
> For RAID10 I suggest far 2, and boot regular raid1
>
> Creating Boot RAID1:
> [root at kancelarija]# mdadm --create /dev/md9 --level=1 --raid-disks=2
/dev/sdd1 /dev/sde1 --metadata=0.90

> Creating RAID10 far,2:
>
> [root at kancelarija]# mdadm --create /dev/md9 --level=10 --layout=f2
--raid-disks=2 /dev/sdd9 /dev/sde9

We have a good bit of RAID here, and GPT, with all the 3TB drives we got
last year. We've added stuff in our kickstart script to partition with GPT
and parted (fdisk doesn't do GPT, if you'd missed that). In the ks, we
mklabel GPT, then do NOT clear partitioning when you go to create
partitions, or it'll blow away the GPT.

Also, my manager is very much not a fan of LVM, but we do have *large*
RAIDs - we use RAID 6 for data, though we've used RAID 1 for /boot and /.
Since I keep reading that "we really need to fix the fsck,etc tools for >
16TB in the next year" for the last 4 years (at least), I partition them
as 14-16TB, and that works just fine.

        mark