[CentOS] Processes launched from rc*.d and ulimit -n

Fri May 9 00:06:15 UTC 2014
Mitch Patenaude <mpatenaude at shutterfly.com>

> The value for nofile for all users in /etc/security/limits.conf (and limits.d/*) is 65536, and as soon as I restart the process (service dirsrv restart) it comes up with ulimit -n being 64K, the way it's supposed to.  Why isn't it doing this at boot?

I figured out part of this: limits.conf is read by pam_limits.so, so until you log in, it isn't effective.  I don't have an elegant solution, but my hackish solution so far is just to put a "ulimit -n 65536" into the init script.  Does anybody have a better (more elegant) solution?

  -- Mitch Patenaude