[CentOS] CentOS 6.5 fresh install, public ssh keys cannot authenticate

Fri May 9 22:50:55 UTC 2014
Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org>

On Fri, May 09, 2014 at 03:42:52PM -0700, Greg Bailey wrote:
> I think you're missing:
>
> chmod 600 ~dan/.ssh/authorized_keys
>
> Without it, sshd won't use the authorized_keys file if it's readable by
> other users.  (I think that's related to "StrictMode"; consult sshd man
> page)

No.  Public keys are public and are happy to be readable.

What can _not_ be allowed is group/world writeable... ANYWHERE in the
path.

eg if ~dan is /home then
  /  must be owned by root and permission 755
  /home  must be owned by root and permission 755
  /home/dan must be owned by dan and not be group/world writeable
  /home/dan/.ssh must be owned by dan and not be group/world writeable
  /home/dan/.ssh/authorized_keys must be owned by dan and
       not be group/world writeable

Also permissions of /etc /etc/ssh /etc/ssh/sshd_config and so on.

--

rgds
Stephen