[CentOS] Mother board recommendation

Fri May 16 18:09:59 UTC 2014
Joseph Hesse <joehesse at gmail.com>

On 05/16/2014 10:28 AM, Dave Stevens wrote:
> Quoting Joseph Hesse <joehesse at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to build a lightweight server and install centos.  Does anyone
>> have a recommendation for a suitable motherboard?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Joe
>
> there are lots of motherboards that might do; in my experience make
> sure it has lots of top end for memory, 32 gigs is not hard to find.
> you also need to consider how many cpus cores drives other
> peripherals. really it's a large topic. check ebay too, I found a nice
> supermicro two cpu opteron board with 8 cores and 16G ram for $250.

Thank you for your reply.

I am currently using, as a server, a workstation computer.  It was built
with a gigabyte motherboard and has 8G ram and a 1000G Sata 3 drive.

It is accessed with ssh and runs an ftp server, a web server and a samba
server so my wife can back up her pc to it.  It is running behind a router.

This computer more than meets my needs as a lightweight server except
the hardware is dying and I want to replace it.

The question in my mind is: should I just buy another workstation class
motherboard and duplicate what I already have or buy a motherboard which
is intended to be used as a server?

Thank you,
Joe