[CentOS] build system for cutting edge software

Mon May 19 02:29:22 UTC 2014
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 06:10:57PM +0200, Gergely Buday wrote:
> However, sometimes I would like to use fresh software that is not
> available as a package. Compiling from source is indeed an option but
> because centos uses oldish sources not only the sought package should
> be built but a lot of other packages.
> An idea is to build it in a directory, as much independent as it is
> possible from the installed libraries on the centos installation. Is
> there an automated build system for such an endeavour?

You might be interested in Software Collections. See
<https://www.softwarecollections.org/>. This is basically a system for
packaging RPMs that instal in /opt instead of into the distribution proper.

And although I haven't done this, I believe that they are integrated with
Coprs (<http://copr.fedoraproject.org/>), which is a buildsystem for making
and hosting your own repositories. This will build for Fedora or RHEL/CentOS
(or both at once).