[CentOS] Samba4 questions

Mon May 19 05:22:21 UTC 2014
Arun Khan <knura9 at gmail.com>

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 1:25 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> SME server used to be pretty good at that sort of thing (small
> business server).  You could just add users and put them in groups
> with the web interface and set up file shares by group.  The ClearOS
> version might be more up to date, though.    The old lanman
> authentication wouldn't be as secure as AD, though.

+1 to Les's comments.

@ OP  - if you are not averse to switching distributions, then give
Zentyal (www.zentyal.org) a try; it has Samba 4.1.5 IIRC and based on
Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS.

The Zentyal folks have done a good job on the Web UI so user/group and
file share management is fairly straightforward.

Recently, I migrated a 50 node setup, a mix of CentOS desktops, Linux
Storage (Debian), Windows 7 Pro, OS X, from a openLDAP+Samba3 PDC
setup to Samba4 AD/DC.

Much as this group has helped you, you will have to do some homework
(reading + experimentation) and bring yourself up to speed on Samba4.
There is a lot of documentation <http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/> and
wiki.samba.org.

-- Arun Khan