[CentOS] Sorry

Mon May 19 15:19:11 UTC 2014

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 7:06 AM, mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>> On 05/17/14 18:29, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>>> Am 17.05.2014 23:22, schrieb Always Learning:
<snip>
> I'ts not really a bad thing in the context of 1<->1 messages and
> business communications where you are interested enough to not need
> the reply put in context for you but might want the audit-trail of the
> whole previous conversation for reference.
>
> But mail list messages go to a lot of people who have only a passing
> interest and unless they are a participant in the thread, may not have
> seen it before to understand the context - or they may have found it
> in an archive, looking for the same answers.    So, it you want anyone
> to pay attention, the message has to make sense on its own with
> irrelevant cruft removed and the new parts place in the correct
> context.

What Mike says, above, is *the* most significant argument, and, IMO,
trumps all counter-arguments. This *is* a mailing list. Frequently, for
example, I'll be busy, or a thread doesn't seem interesting, until I see
something that leads me to look in on it... and if it's filled with
top-posted unreadable threads, even if I might have some really helpful
suggestions, I usually don't *want* to read enough to make them, because I
have no idea what's been suggested or discounted before, and I *ain't*
gonna read down, up, down, up, up, down....

Top post if you want... but don't expect cooperation or help.

       mark