[CentOS] Disable login at boot

Wed May 21 20:13:47 UTC 2014
Billy Crook <bcrook at riskanalytics.com>

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 3:07 PM, Steve Clark <sclark at netwolves.com> wrote:

> On 05/21/2014 04:01 PM, Billy Crook wrote:
> > You know I have a couple machines I use that might fit that description.
> > They autologin to gnome and autostart firefox pointed at say, a cacti
> page.
> >
> > When I need to change the url, I update the script that launches Firefox,
> > and and restart X, all over ssh.  There's no keyboard or mouse on the
> > remote machine, but there is a monitor.  I don't know that I'd call it
> > headless.  But it's definitely remotely administered, and still has a
> > screen enabled.
> >
> > What a fun guessing game.
> >
> I'd call that kiosk mode:-)

That's how I hostnamed them anyway.  But after more thinking they're more
like digital signage than a kiosk.

The things you interact with to print boarding passes at the airports are
kiosks.  self checkout at a store is kiosk.  The things that search for
stores and give you directions at a large mall are kiosks.  Kiosks interact
with humans who do not have (or want) OS logon credentials.

Instead, these things are only displaying information and do not interact.
 There's got to be a better term for that than digital signage.

--
Billy Crook • Network and Security Administrator • RiskAnalytics, LLC