[CentOS] CentOS 6 Manuals

Fri May 23 14:22:23 UTC 2014

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 05/21/2014 09:37 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> <snip>
>> And if they're running it, what I recommended for years was the O'Reilly
>> book by Aeline Frisch, "Essential Systems Administration", which is
>> *wonderful*. I don't have it, but I know O'Reilly publishes a Linux
>> admin book.
> <snip>
>
> I love that book :)

Where I was working in the early nineties, most folks knew of the find
command, but other than the sysadmin, *no* one knew how to use it. Then I
bought the book, and read the first chapter, and literally the next day, I
really needed it, and now knew how.

'95-'97, I was working for Ameritech, one of the Baby Bells (since
swallowed by SBC, er, "AT&T"). A couple weeks after I started, my managers
asked if I wanted to be sysadmin, too... which was how I got into doing
sysadmin. The next year, along with my ...late... wife, I was sleeping
with that book. After about a year, as the division had grown from 4 teams
to 27(!), they brought in the corporate sysadmins, who I got friendly
with, fast. They told me of all those teams, there were only *two* whose
servers looked normal (as opposed to everyone having root, and crap
directories all over...), and one was mine. <g>

Ever since, I *frequently* recommend, for folks new to *Nix, to read
chapter 2, The Unix Way, so you understand what it's all about, and how it
hangs together and makes sense.

If I ever get to meet Ms. Frisch, I *really* owe her a drink.

        mark