[CentOS] "new" computers and monitors

Wed May 28 19:21:03 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Michael Hennebry
<hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

>> Why do you want to connect the two computers like this?  It is usually
>> more trouble than it's worth unless you want to use the first computer
>> as a firewall or something.  Just connect both of them to your router
>> and everything should work fine.
>
> I don't know that I do.
> I've not done anything with a router since connecting
> my old computer to CenturyLink's router/modem.
>
> I want the second computer to not have its own global IP address.
> It will at least occasionally run Windows.
> I'd prefer not to assume that Windows will
> not try to fetch an IP address behind my back.

Routers and modems from ISPs are sometimes different things and
sometimes integrated.  If you are getting a public IP on your first
computer you either just have a modem, or if it is is also a router it
is running in bridged mode.  You can add a separate router ahead of
both computers.   To make things more complicated there are also some
combo devices where the router side can split bridged/NAT mode to
supply both some number of static public IPs and a private subnet (but
if you had one of those you would probably know it).

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com