[CentOS] "new" computers and monitors

Thu May 29 13:34:34 UTC 2014

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 05/28/2014 02:26 PM, Bowie Bailey wrote:

<snip>
> [...]
CenturyLink

<snip>
<snip>
>>> I want the second computer to not have its own global IP address.
>>> It will at least occasionally run Windows.
>>> I'd prefer not to assume that Windows will
>>> not try to fetch an IP address behind my back.
>> The router should have a built-in switch with multiple network jacks.
>> Just plug the new computer into the router along with the old one and
>> you should be fine.
<snip>
> This is NORMALLY true ... although some ISPs provide multiple real IP
> addresses too.

AFAIK, not unless you pay extra.

> It is easy enough to test though ... plug in the computer that works,
> look at its IP address, if it is in the private range (192.168.x.x,
> 10.x.x.x, 172.16..x.x to 172.31.x.x) then the provided router is
> isolating the real IP on the outside port.
>
> It is also then also normally true that internal ports are NAT'ed and
> isolated from the outside world.
<snip>
I was under the impression that the OP actually doesn't want it visible to
the world, isn't intending to browse or email via it, but that it was for
*only* inside. IF that is the case, he'd have to go into the router and
tell it to assign it an internal IP, and to *not* NAT it.

       mark