[CentOS] OEM suggestions

Thu May 29 17:41:42 UTC 2014

zep wrote:

> On 05/29/2014 12:11 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:46 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>>> I agree. But I do need a third quote, though I suppose I could get a
>>> reseller along with Dell and the HP. I was sort of looking for anther
>>> vendor that's got 64 cores in 1U (the Dell's 2U).
>> If you are looking for density, shouldn't you be using blade systems?
>> I think both HP and Dell have blades that can go to 64 cores.
>>
> I suspect it's total cores per machine + density; I dunno if
<snip>
Let me clarify a bit. In the past, we've gotten servers from Penguin, as I
said, and they're all Supermicro boxes. I'm not just looking for three
quotes - that, I could get easily - I'm looking for other OEMs, in a
similar price range (or lower) that might offer us a replacment OEM for
Penguin, that offers a) a good price; b) *reliable* systems that they've
q/a'd, and c) decent technical support response.

On the last, Dell's hard to beat. Sun/Oracle ranks under "none of the
above".... So....

       mark