[CentOS] Tracking Open Ports

Fri May 30 15:55:04 UTC 2014
zep <zgreenfelder at gmail.com>

On 05/30/2014 11:14 AM, Eric Falbe wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to notify or log when a specific remote port is openened?  I have an old LDAP server that I am looking to get rid of, but there is still a few queries reaching it.
>
> The sytem authentication is setup correctly (as is Postfix), so I am thinking there must be some script or program that is setup to query the older LDAP server.
>
> I tried using lsof -i|grep 389, but I am not quick enough to get results before the socket is closed.  Is there any program or script I could write to detect when this socket gets opened, and what PID and/or program owns it?

it's a fairly interesting problem (at least to me); I'm not wizard
enough to be able to redirect the connection, but you could
write a perl script that sits on the port and logs the remote
IP connecting, although that would break the service while
you're figuring out who's still connecting.    the other thing I'd
consider (although my quick little experiment didn't quite work)
is turning on/adding to iptables for some logging.

you could also potentially do something with tcp wrappers
if the daemon has the libraries, or maybe some xinetd magic.