[CentOS] What List to Use for Patch Requests (Johnny Hughes) - CentOS Digest, Vol 118, Issue 4

Stan Cruise

stancruise at me.com
Tue Nov 4 18:00:55 UTC 2014

On 11/04/2014 05:00 AM, centos-request at centos.org wrote:

Today's Topics:

   34. Re: What List to Use for Patch Requests (Johnny Hughes)

------------------------------ Message: 34 Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014
05:58:07 -0600 From: Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> To:
centos at centos.org Subject: Re: [CentOS] What List to Use for Patch
Requests Message-ID: <5458BF4F.6020300 at centos.org> Content-Type:
text/plain; charset="windows-1252" On 11/03/2014 06:38 PM, Stan Cruise
wrote:

> I posted an issue that may warrant a patch some days ago with no response.
> Is there a more appropriate list to post on?

CentOS is a rebuild of RHEL Source code ... we don't release bugfixes of
things released by RHEL unless we (CentOS team) somehow introduced the
broken code with branding updates.  Remember, CentOS is supposed to be
bug for bug compatible with the upstream products and if we want things
fixed they need to come down from upstream.

Also, the evolution in CentOS-7 is 3.8.5-22.el7_0.1 ... not evolution
3.10.x.  That means that the patch from Fedora 20 will likely not apply
as is.

If you are sure that it is the same issue then we can open a Red Hat bug
and hopefully they will roll in the patch.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

Stan Cruise reply:

Hi Johnny,

Many thanks for your reply, and thanks for your description of the streaming approach. I was conceptually aware of this, but I do not know the process to follow.

My own use tests produce exactly the errors described in the bug report, although without real debugging it is hard to say it is the exact same root cause.

Would I need to submit a specific issue report with log files to initiate a Centos/RH process? (I have not done this before, but I do have a software development background, and know that one has to put in the effort, so I am willing to learn this and hopefully help the community).

Regards,

Stan