[CentOS] Wow! Double wow!

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 19:47:19 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 1:32 PM, Nathan Duehr <denverpilot at me.com> wrote:

>> True, but pretty much everything was written wrong to begin with, back
>> in the day when everyone thought bad guys just shouldn't be allowed to
>> use the network.  And the fixes are trickling in bit by bit.
>
> Been hearing that “back in the day” excuse since Novell / IPX was big.  Wash, rinse, repeat.
>
> There have always been “bad guys” on networks.
>
> That excuse will still be used long after I’m dead… but an excuse, it most certainly is.

It was made official in 1987 with the first known instance of an
internet worm that exploited sendmail.   The person who released the
viral code was held responsible rather than the vendors that shipped
the obvious vulnerability - even the commercial vendors that
repackaged it and charged for it.  Thus the next several decades of
taking no responsibility for shipping horrible vulnerabilities was set
in motion.   And of course there are an assortment of conspiracy
theories about how some of the back doors were intentional.

--
    Les Mikesell
       lesmikesell at gmail.com