[CentOS] automated smtp server check

zep zgreenfelder at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 16:20:34 UTC 2014

On 11/04/2014 02:44 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 11/4/2014 11:36 AM, Frank Cox wrote:
>> Or if someone knows of an integrated tool that will monitor this in a
>> better way (whatever that may be), I'm more than interested.
>
> Nagios

I'd second nagios, but I think to -really- test smtp, you'd need an
external email source, a specialized target user and cron on both sides
(at least that'd how I'd do it, just to be sure mail is really flowing
through).    I also don't think cron for monitoring is a terribly good
idea.   and I think you also need to consider the implications of how
you send out your alerts based on what you monitor.    e.g. oh no ..
email is down!   quick!  fetch me an admin; send an emai... d'oh!

--
public gpg key id: AE60F64C