[CentOS] Making a bootable Win7 DVD from an ISO

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Wed Nov 5 18:17:29 UTC 2014

On Wed, November 5, 2014 12:01 pm, SilverTip257 wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 10:37 AM, Valeri Galtsev
> <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu>
> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, November 5, 2014 9:08 am, James B. Byrne wrote:
>> > I would like to create a bootable DVD containing Win7 from an official
>> > Microsoft ISO that I have on a CentOS-6.5 box.  Is this even possible?
>> If
>> > so
>> > then how is it done using CentOS?
>>

> It's possible.
>
> 1) dd can do the job as others have pointed out.  Clone to image or image
> to physical disc.
> 2) Use whatever other CD/DVD burning software you choose (CLI or GUI
> tool).  Suggestions at [0] ... begin reading at section 4.7 for burning
> tools on CentOS [1]
>
> [0] http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/CD_burning_howto.html
> [1] http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/CD_burning_howto.html#AEN126
>

>> > If I must create a Win7 repair disk on a Windows machine then this
>> will
>> be
>> > possible, but somewhat logistically challenging. I would much rather
>> just
>> > get
>> > it done with the tools I have to hand.
>> >

> If I remember correctly, Windows does give an option to create an ISO
> instead of burning the restore disk to a physical disc.
>

>> You can not and ideally you should not use anything but M$ tools for
>> that.
>> This is written in M$ End User License Agreement. However, Microsoft
>> gives
>> you a tool to create boot disk and system image, you can use those to
>> achieve your goal.
>

> While it may be in the Microsoft agreement, would they really be able to
> tell you used dd to clone the disc to an ISO?
> It's a trivial problem and one that won't come to light unless a person is
> illegally distributing install discs and what not.  Furthermore it doesn't
> matter in the whole scope of things so I'll stop here being off-topic.

This is kind of philosophical question. Will you be able to reverse
engineer closed source google portion of Android kernel? With some
knowledge, yes. Will you be able to admit you did it (without risk of
getting into jail for illegal activity)? Definitely: No. It is reverse
engineering that is made by the law in many countries that is illegal. So
we are being carried away from the topic more and more... Yet, even when
we disagree with some laws, the wisdom would suggest to obey, and fight
them legal way. And keep warning about what is not legal so others do not
get into trouble (and develop appropriate attitude?).

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago