[CentOS] CentOS-7 re-install

James B. Byrne

byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Wed Nov 5 20:23:26 UTC 2014

Ok, how is this supposed to work?  I have re-installed CentOS-7 over the first
install. On the "Installation Destination" (JHC can they make these name any
more pretentious? What happened to boot disk?) I have exactly one ATA WD5000.
I chose 'I will configure partitioning'.  On the Manual Partitioning page I
see the previous installation file-system.  I select each of the mount points
and delete them using the (-) button (said metaphor also lifted directly from
Apple OSX).  This gives me the entire disk back.  I then add mount points for
/. /swap, /var/log, /tmp (probably unnecessarily but force of habit will out),
and /var/spool (no users so no /home).

Now when I reboot I get nothing but a flashing underscore in the top left hand
corner of the monitor.  Nothing else.

What gives?

Canada  L8E 3C3