[CentOS] USB / MiFi Mobile broadband devices and CentOS 5 (32-bit)

Robert Heller

heller at deepsoft.com
Wed Nov 5 21:55:18 UTC 2014

Has anyone had any experience with the NetZero Stick? The NetZero site
says that it is 'Linux' compatible, but gives no detailed information (eg
distributations, kernel version, driver name/version, etc.).

I am running a stock CentOS 5.11 kernel (2.6.18-398.el5) on my 32-bit laptop
(IBM Thinkpad X31, with a non-PAE processor, so upgrading to CentOS 6 is not
an option, and no, I don't want to install Ubuntu on this machine).  I don't
have any flavor of MS-Windows installed.

My other options are the NetZero Hotspot (a MiFi device) or Virgin Mobile's
Netgear Mingle Mobile Hotspot (another MiFi device). NetZero does not list
Linux as a supported O/S, nor does Virgin Mobile -- I am not sure what that
means, since the MiFi device are pretty much just like a typical (wired)
wireless router, except instead of a Ethernet uplink (eg to a DSL or Cable
Modem or something like that) it has a celluar uplink. I am *presuming* that
these MiFi devices are configured via a web interface (eg http://192.168.1.1/
or some such with some default username/password).

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933