[CentOS] CentOS 6.5 Vault Repository missing

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Thu Nov 6 17:41:18 UTC 2014

On Thu, November 6, 2014 11:06 am, Fabian Arrotin wrote:

> On 06/11/14 17:12, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>>
> <snip>
>>
>> On a similar subject: How can I mirror centos-vault? To the
>> contrary to CentOS public mirror I do realize I need to run
>> mirroring script not 4 times a day but maybe 4 time a Month at
>> most...
>>
>> Valeri
>>

> Well, there is no direct possibility to mirror centos-vault, at least
> not with rsync (you can mirror http content if you want).
> Each time I see people pointing their yum config to vault I want to
> cry ...

No, I'm not going to point _my_ yum config to vault... But it is just
convenient to have local copy of vault. You can easily shuffle packages
etc. One example: I have a few workstations in the Department that have
powerful a bit older NVIDIA cards, "legacy" as NVIDIA considers them. With
screen configuration we have it is only proprietary binary driver that we
can use. Legacy NVIDIA driver didn't survive the jump from CentOS 6.5 to
6.6 (so much for Enterprisiness...). And NVIDIA is (and will be) reluctant
to do something as well. So, I'm rolling back xorg,...

> *but* because it's a free world and that people can run machines
> without any security updates (as long as they don't complain , but
> still a *really* bad idea ...), vault.centos.org nodes exist
>
> As stated in the http://vault.centos.org/notonvault.html file, two
> external mirrors are providing full access to Vault content, and also
> available through rsync :
>
> mirror.nsc.liu.se::centos-store/
> mirror.symnds.com::CentOS-vault-full/

Great, thanks I'll see if I can mirror from one of them.

Also, I don't mind the mirror of CentOS vault on bay.uchicago.edu to be
added to the list of the two public mirrors above - once I have it in sync
that is (once you have dedicated box for mirrors, a few extra mirrors do
not change things much).

In the past I was mirroring vault from kernel.org, but they dropped
maintaining CentOS vault mirror a year or two ago. If I do not succeed,
I'll ask you for extra help if you do not mind.

Thanks.
Valeri

> Cheers,
>
> - --