[CentOS] Samba guest no write access after update to samba -3.6.23-12.el6.x86_64

Mike Watson mikew at crucis.net
Thu Nov 6 22:02:09 UTC 2014

On 11/06/2014 01:47 PM, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> On 11/6/2014 1:05 PM, Mike Watson wrote:
>> I have an established server initially created with CentOS 6.5 and
>> updated weekly. Last week there was a massive update that I believe
>> upgraded my server to 6.6.
>>
>> I had a number of issues after the upgrade---like my firewall being
>> turned on and blocking all inbound ports. (I have an external firewall.)
>> I've fixed all the issues created by this upgrade except for one.
>>
>> I have a number of samba shares on this server used by some WinXP boxes
>> on my network and two other linux (Fedora) workstations. Since the
>> upgrade, guest/nobody write access no longer works. The smb.conf file is
>> unchanged.
>>
>> The config file below has been unchanged since my initial installation.
>> Anyone know how I can restore guest write access? Guest can read, but
>> not write to the share.
>
> I don't see anything obvious.  The first thing I would do is to take a
> look at 'smbstatus' while a guest user is logged on and make sure it
> is connecting as the user you expect.

It is.

Samba version 3.6.23-12.el6
PID     Username      Group         Machine
 <processes do not show up in anonymous mode>

Service      pid     machine       Connected at
Stuff        16177   remington     Thu Nov  6 15:21:12 2014
Var          16177   remington     Thu Nov  6 15:21:56 2014

Locked files:
Pid          Uid        DenyMode   Access      R/W
Oplock           SharePath   Name   Time