[CentOS] Chromium browser for C6

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sat Nov 8 13:52:46 UTC 2014

On 11/07/2014 02:41 PM, Greg Bailey wrote:
> On 11/07/2014 01:20 PM, Robert Arkiletian wrote:

>>> leonfauster at googlemail.com>

>>> http://install.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/yum/itecs/public/chromium/rhel6/x86_64/

>>> official

>>> environment,
>>> Yes, those use the Developer Tool Set .. the ones from Red Hat do not.
>>>
>>> I can not get the Sources for the Red Hat supplemental channel because
>>> they do distribute the pepperflash component.
>>>
>>> I am sorry, but Google is not interested in supporting CentOS.
>>>

>> Am I correct in interpreting, that even if RH wanted to release the
>> supplemental package for Chromium to CentOS they would not be able to
>> because it contains the pepperflash component.
>>

> The "chromium-browser" RPM from the supplemental channel doesn't appear
> to have pepperflash included in it:
>
> $ rpm -qilv chromium-browser|grep -i flash
>
> As opposed to "google-chrome-stable":
>
> $ rpm -qilv google-chrome-stable | grep -i flash
> drwxr-xr-x    2 root    root                        0 Oct 21 18:53
> /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash
> -rw-r--r--    1 root    root                 17350240 Oct 21 18:53
> /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so
> -rw-r--r--    1 root    root                     2045 Oct 21 18:53
> /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/manifest.json
>
> The .spec file for chromium-browser does have conditionals in it, such as:
>
> %define flash 0
>
> Looks like pepperflash is added from google-chrome-stable if flash is
> defined...

OK new version posted.

This uses the centos-6 testing key and is available here:

http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/chromium/6/

The repo file is here:

http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/chromium/6/chromium-el6.repo

This version is now called chromium-browser and not chromium, so if you
have the older version, you will need to:

yum remove chromium

then

yum install chromium-browser

Later updates should happen with yum update and the name chromium-browser

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes