[CentOS] Chromium browser for C6

Darr247 darr247 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 14:43:29 UTC 2014

On 08 November 2014 @19:48 zulu, Steve Brooks wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Nov 2014, Steve Brooks wrote:
>
>> I installed from the repo given here a month ago and it works fine. I
>> something wrong with this google repo? Should I remove and reinstall
>> from the new one given here on this list?
>
> Correction this is the repo file
>
> [google-chrome]
> name=google-chrome
> baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64
> enabled=1
> gpgcheck=1
>
> It installs and works.. youtube videos play.

The only way that would work for C6 is if the script from Richard Lloyd,
or similar, is used to segregate newer libraries from f15 and f17 into
e.g. /opt/google/chrome/lib so versions of Chrome newer than v27 will
install and run on C6, but other programs won't use those libraries.

C7 uses those newer libraries by default, so such an installation script
isn't needed to make Chrome work on C7.  For now, anyway. :)

Chromium (see subject line) is the open source version of Chrome, of course.