[CentOS] Chromium browser for C6

Cian Mc Govern cian at cianmcgovern.com
Mon Nov 10 15:57:33 UTC 2014

On 8 November 2014 13:52, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> On 11/07/2014 02:41 PM, Greg Bailey wrote:
> > On 11/07/2014 01:20 PM, Robert Arkiletian wrote:

> http://install.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/yum/itecs/public/chromium/rhel6/x86_64/

> >> Am I correct in interpreting, that even if RH wanted to release the
> >> supplemental package for Chromium to CentOS they would not be able to
> >> because it contains the pepperflash component.
> >>

> > The "chromium-browser" RPM from the supplemental channel doesn't appear
> > to have pepperflash included in it:
> >
> > $ rpm -qilv chromium-browser|grep -i flash
> >
> > As opposed to "google-chrome-stable":
> >
> > $ rpm -qilv google-chrome-stable | grep -i flash
> > drwxr-xr-x    2 root    root                        0 Oct 21 18:53
> > /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash
> > -rw-r--r--    1 root    root                 17350240 Oct 21 18:53
> > /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so
> > -rw-r--r--    1 root    root                     2045 Oct 21 18:53
> > /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/manifest.json
> >
> > The .spec file for chromium-browser does have conditionals in it, such
> as:
> >
> > %define flash 0
> >
> > Looks like pepperflash is added from google-chrome-stable if flash is
> > defined...
>
> OK new version posted.
>
> This uses the centos-6 testing key and is available here:
>
> http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/chromium/6/
>
> The repo file is here:
>
> http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/chromium/6/chromium-el6.repo
>
> This version is now called chromium-browser and not chromium, so if you
> have the older version, you will need to:
>
> yum remove chromium
>
> then
>
> yum install chromium-browser
>
> Later updates should happen with yum update and the name chromium-browser
>

> Thanks,
> Johnny Hughes

Thanks for this Johnny. I'm seeing some strange input related issues with
it however:

1. It doesn't detect anything typed on the keypad when NumLock is enabled.
2. It's not detecting the return key ie. entering text in a search field
and hitting return results in nothing whereas before it would invoke the
search.

I'd be happy to provide more information if required.

Thanks,
Cian