[CentOS] backup incrementals on mysql

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 10 19:57:04 UTC 2014

On Mon, November 10, 2014 1:25 pm, Rodrigo Pichiñual Norin wrote:
> Hi all.
>

> I usally make backups of databases mysql.
>
> I make buckups of all datbase for example:
>
> mysqldump -u user -ppassword name_db > backups.sql
>

> also I make backups just its schema for example
>
> mysqldump -u user -ppassword name_db --no-data > backups.sql
>

> but now I need a backups incrementals, because the size of DB is very big
> (500 mb)
>

> How to make this?

I've seen somewhere script that does the following. It dumps all
databases, then commits them into some version control system. CVS and
subversion come to my mind. As the last do diff of text files 9and this
way keep changes from version to version), and database dump is ASCII
text, this will fulfill pretty well what you need. I must confess, I never
came to the point of setting it that way myself: with database sizes we
have, and the space we can devote we can handle a week worth of daily full
dumps, and a couple of Months of backups of these... but one day I'll do
it this way. The following may not be what I originally saw, but seems to
be doing exactly this:

http://rocketmodule.com/blog/database-backup-dump-and-svn-commit-script-drupal-workflow

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev