[CentOS] Non-Gnome desktop

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue Nov 11 14:27:19 UTC 2014

On Mon, November 10, 2014 14:57, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 14:35:05 -0500
> James B. Byrne wrote:
>
>>  Does this Desktop work for anyone else without gnome3
>> installed?  What am I leaving out?  Am I suppose run some sort of X
>> configuration program?
>
> I've done this a few times now, and it's worked every time:
>
> Install the Centos 7 Live CD.
>
> Install epel-release
>
> Install Mate Desktop

That matches my experience.  I can install from the LiveCD with a graphical
interface and get KDE and Mate.  But I suspect that is because the LiveCD is
providing Gnome3.  If I use the Minimal install DVD instead then I simply
cannot get Mate or KDE to run as desktops without having first installed
Gnome3.  Neither alternative desktop will work without and both always work
with Gnome3 present.

Canada  L8E 3C3