[CentOS] backup incrementals on mysql

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Tue Nov 11 16:15:26 UTC 2014

On Tue, November 11, 2014 9:10 am, Fran Garcia wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 8:25 PM, Rodrigo Pichiñual Norin
> <rodrigo.pichinual at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all.
>>

>> I usally make backups of databases mysql.
>>
>> I make buckups of all datbase for example:
>>
>> mysqldump -u user -ppassword name_db > backups.sql
>>

>> also I make backups just its schema for example
>>
>> mysqldump -u user -ppassword name_db --no-data > backups.sql
>
> Hola,
>
> If size's a concern, just export your DBs gziped :
>
> mysqldump -u user  database | gzip > backup_database.sql

I would stay away from compression. Compression results in binary file.
Even though compressed result is smaller, when you will try to keep
several versions back, you will have multiple compressed file versions
hitting your backup storage. The original poster's intent is better: to
keep diff of ASCII dump files. If one commits dumps into some version
control system, even though its files may be treated as binary, you will
need only one latest version on backup (as it contains all versions of
database).

Just my $0.02.

Valeri

> Also if you are concerned about time to compress, you can enable
> multithreaded parallel gzip compress with pigz (available in EPEL) :
>

> mysqldump -u user  database | pigz > backup_database.sql
>

> TBH, 500 MB databases aren't big enough to seek a more complex
> approach (unless you have more ambitious RTO/RPO requirements)

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247