[CentOS] [OT] mail address - centos mail list

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 17:10:39 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 8:18 AM, James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, November 10, 2014 13:56, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Well, yeah...    If I wanted to keep secrets, I wouldn't be sending them
> over the internet at all.   You don't really trust your software or other
> third parties that much, do you?
>
> Read my signature.

Hmmm, gmail conveniently collapses previously-seen content into an
ellipse so that didn't jump out out me before.

> The point is that it is not what I trust.  It is what my correspondents do
> with their mail irrespective of trust.  And that is totally out of my control.
>  Nonetheless, we must take whatever steps we can to protect whatever residual
> confidentiality there is.

I don't get your point about gmail then.  If you don't expect internet
email to be secure in any case then you won't send secrets over it and
it won't matter who archives, forwards, or searches it.   This is all
pretty obvious for public mail lists anyway and there's not that much
point in trying to mix them with even business-level security.   I
prefer to have a completely separate account for list use although
some companies might be so restrictive as to not let you use even web
access to it from work machines.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com