[CentOS] [OT] mail address - centos mail list

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Tue Nov 11 19:35:53 UTC 2014

On Tue, November 11, 2014 1:30 pm, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 12:41 PM, Valeri Galtsev
> <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Indeed, e-mail is not a secure channel of communication (as everyone of
>> us
>> repeats for decades). That is because there are _bad_guys_ doing bad
>> thing
>> (sniffing packets)... Now we come to the point that some company
>> collects
>> information. In general doing virtually the same thing. And we should
>> feel
>> no disrespect to that company, right? I feel it is unfair to the first
>> category of guys (the bad ones sniffing network traffic).
>>
>> Do you not have any problem with that? Because I do ;-(
>
> I don't - for a couple of reasons.  First, google doesn't charge for
> the service so I'll use it for what it is: a good place to
> collaborate, and ignore the fact that it might be a bad place to keep
> secrets.   And public mailing lists are pretty clearly about open
> collaboration. Second, your, and the recipient's ISPs are going to be
> as bad or worse about allowing government spying.   They don't really
> have any choice about that if they want to exist so I don't have a
> real problem with that either, except that they charge us all extra
> for the capability.
>
>> But alas, it is the majority that rules (sort of "democracy" as opposed
>> "constitutional republic").

No, I meant it with respect to google, "metaforically speaking", not
meaning actual government of one sort of another. So, you are in the
majority as far as google or other "free" services are concerned, I
figure, and I'm not - in our internet "democracy" that is.

Valeri

> Ummm, at this point is it much more a matter of corporate ownership
> than anything else. If you don't like the government, you have to buy
> a better one.

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago