[CentOS] To James B. Byrne

John Hoe john.hoe at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 16:49:55 UTC 2014

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 11:44 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 8:50 AM, James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>
> wrote:
> >
> > But, the mail server is not broken.  It is entirely to RFC
> specifications.
> > Google decides how to treat the resulting confusion respecting mail
> forwarded
> > by the CentOS list. Yahoo I understand simply drops it into the bit
> bucket and
> > the recipient never knows.
> >
> > Your complaint would be better directed at the consortium of Email
> providers,
> > including Google and Yahoo, who forced DMARC on the IETF; or rather
> entirely
> > by-passed the IETF and put this Rube Goldberg hack into play
> regardless.  The
> > people who run mailing lists screamed blue murder but it happened
> nonetheless.
>
> If this is something caused by google and not your own server settings
> that indicate how to treat forwarders, why doesn't email originating
> from gmail have the same issue?
>
> --
>    Les Mikesell
>      lesmikesell at gmail.com

​I guess the upside to all these .... feedback is I learnt something about
standards, and how futile they can be sometimes.

Yeah we've followed the RFCs, yes there's DMARC serving its own purposes,
yes there's some mangling and yes there's a fix for it, but if the main
party (RH in this case) refuses to budge, shit remains broken. I'm not
pointing fingers at anyone but I'm not surprised why we haven't colonised
mars yet.

​I personally find it annoying that James is getting stuffed into spam box
_all_ the time, but with all these explanations I've gotten I think I got
the better end of the bargain.

John​