[CentOS] Not To James B. Byrne

Miranda Hawarden-Ogata hawarden at ifa.hawaii.edu
Fri Nov 14 21:50:54 UTC 2014

On 2014/11/14 11:32, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 3:02 PM, Miranda Hawarden-Ogata
> <hawarden at ifa.hawaii.edu> wrote:
>>> If you auto-mark as read, how do you ever know when it really is read?
>> I don't use the gmail interface for day-to-day email processing, for
>> precisely that reason. It is why I resort to TB.
> I don't get it.  Why auto-mark read in the first place?
Marking it as read removes it from my gmail inbox for the times when I
~do~ need to read email using the gmail interface.
>> When I'm at work I read all
>> email with a work-centric focus.
> I have a completely separate work account.  With its own restrictions
> and retention policies.  It hasn't always been that way but it seems
> easier now (someone else manages that server).
I could do that I suppose, but I haven't and probably wouldn't have the
time necessary to separate out the emails between the two accounts. I
already have 6+ email accounts that I have to monitor so I'd rather not
fork off another if I can help it.
>> Which is handy when my email goes back
>> 15+ years and google won't let me keep it all there without paying for it
>> which I'd rather not do.
> I have 100+GB of google-space without paying extra, I think partly as
> a side effect of the android phone I use. And I don't think there is
> any time-related restriction.
It's not the time, just the byte volume. I get ~15GB of space for free
per account, I think.
>> For the older email, those TB clients are the only
>> copies I have. Even though I have backups, I still do this because recovery
>> has been very quick this way (just replace the dead profile with the good
>> one).
>>
>> And of course, when the apocalypse comes and gmail goes away, I'm all
>> prepared! [/joke]
> I used to pull copies to my own server with fetchmail, and later
> imap-synced with thunderbird (sometimes including the All Mail
> folder).  But the computers that used to do that have all died of old
> age so I gave up on being more reliable than google.   Besides, with
> the work stuff in a separate account it is almost exclusively list
> mail that could be found in public archives anyway.
The vast majority of my email unfortunately is not publicly archived, so
I don't have that option.