[CentOS] Fwd: Centos and logs

zep zgreenfelder at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 15:25:15 UTC 2014

On 11/18/2014 10:03 AM, Alan Holt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> may be anyone familiar with some tool for viewing logs.
> I mean web-interface based, simple solution.
you say 'servers': plural, which leads me to think you're doing
load balancing or otherwise have multiple servers which seems
like another layer to consider for your puzzle.

> I have developers, and I can't give them access to my Centos servers, but
> they want to see logs of Apache. I want to give them address like
> 172.17.17.21/logs and they will be able to watch logs of Apache in browser.
>
> I was looking a lot for something like this, but didn't find.
> Alex.
>
> *UPD: *something very simple like phpMemcachedAdmin or familiar to this
> Thank you.
I would consider something like splunk (or more likely one of the
free alternatives) and a setup like:

(users) ---public interface --> [webserver] -private interface --\
    -- for logs-->[splunk/log collector]<----(developers)

and make sure there are acls/firewall rules in place to just allow
your developers access (http logs may well include some data that
you don't want to get out to the public, like if someone implements a
cgi as a get instead of a post but has sensitive data included)

--
public gpg key id: AE60F64C