[CentOS] Broadcom WiFi Wiki Updated

milos.blazevic milos.blazevic at sbb.rs
Wed Nov 19 15:00:56 UTC 2014

Quoting Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>:

> Hi Milos,
>
> Always great to see folks contributing, so thanks for your efforts!
>
> Regarding Step 4a: Loading the driver module into kernel:
>
> modprobe understands module dependencies and will automatically resolve
> them whereas insmod does not. Therefore one should probably use modprobe
> to load the module.
>
> You mix the usage of insmod and modprobe in section 4a - for consistency
> I would stick to modprobe at which point the discussion about manually
> simplify the section.
>
> I've also copied my reply to the centos-docs list.

Hello Ned,

I appreciate your prompt response, and definitely agree with you
regarding the insmod part. I was actually thinking of removing that
completely from the Wiki and leaving only the modprobe part of the 4a
section. In addition, it appears to cause confusion to user who are
not very tech/Linux savvy. The only reason why I left it there is
because at the time of the original document writing, there were some
issues where 'insmod' proved useful.

In addition, I just noticed that the boot-time module loading part is
obsolete by being applicable to CentOS 5, rather than 6. I'll move on
and update that also.

Cheers,
Milos.