[CentOS] yum-plugin-security

Frank Cox theatre at melvilletheatre.com
Sat Nov 22 19:17:59 UTC 2014

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 19:52:30 +0100
Gabriele Pohl wrote:

> because I want the alert for my individual machines.
> So the proposed method is no solution
> for an automagical trigger :)

You still can do that without expending too much effort.

One way would be to monitor centos-announce, parse the subject lines, copy the security update filenames to a text or database file.  (sqlite is made for this kind of thing.)  You can either keep a list on each machine or have a central data repository, whichever suits you best.

Then all you need to do is have each machine run "yum check-update" on whatever timed basis you wish.  Capture the list of pending updates, compare it against your database, and then do your thing.