[CentOS] USB / MiFi Mobile broadband devices and CentOS 5 (32-bit)

Wed Nov 5 21:55:18 UTC 2014
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

Has anyone had any experience with the NetZero Stick? The NetZero site
says that it is 'Linux' compatible, but gives no detailed information (eg
distributations, kernel version, driver name/version, etc.).

I am running a stock CentOS 5.11 kernel (2.6.18-398.el5) on my 32-bit laptop
(IBM Thinkpad X31, with a non-PAE processor, so upgrading to CentOS 6 is not
an option, and no, I don't want to install Ubuntu on this machine).  I don't
have any flavor of MS-Windows installed.

My other options are the NetZero Hotspot (a MiFi device) or Virgin Mobile's
Netgear Mingle Mobile Hotspot (another MiFi device). NetZero does not list
Linux as a supported O/S, nor does Virgin Mobile -- I am not sure what that
means, since the MiFi device are pretty much just like a typical (wired)
wireless router, except instead of a Ethernet uplink (eg to a DSL or Cable
Modem or something like that) it has a celluar uplink. I am *presuming* that
these MiFi devices are configured via a web interface (eg http://192.168.1.1/
or some such with some default username/password).

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933