[CentOS] Centos 7 Nvidia openGL breaks vncserver

Tue Nov 18 18:32:36 UTC 2014
Stan Cruise <stancruise at me.com>

Bare metal Centos 6.5, vncserver running, client able to connect with
perfect resolution. Nvidia GT240, driver 331.49.

Upgrade to Centos 7 with nouveau basic driver, all still works fine.
Resolution poor on wire connected monitor, but perfect on vnc client
session (1920x1080).

Upgrade Nvidia driver via elrepo. 340.58; removed nouveau via 'Software'
manager. Excellent wired monitor resolution.

But >> Client vnc connect receives the dreaded 'oh no, something has .....'

Backed out Nvidia  340.58, back to nouveau, client vnc works again. Also
tried 304 driver (only other one in elrepo for el7) - same problem.

Research seems to indicate that openGL does not play well with vnc. I
cannot see any solutions posted as yet.

So, what are my options?

Maybe change out the video card for AMD? I cannot know if the Catalyst
driver will work, but there is a much more active and extensive open
driver community, which could work better than nouveau?

And I noted the Linus 'salute' to Nvidia....... Good timing.

Stan