[CentOS] Dell Dimension 2400 W/Intel 845-G Video

Sun Nov 2 01:54:48 UTC 2014
Mark LaPierre <marklapier at gmail.com>

On 11/01/14 19:23, Anthony K wrote:
> On 01/11/14 13:51, Mark LaPierre wrote:
>> Google has not turned up any useful information. Does anyone have and
>> ideas what more I can try?
>
> Try Ctrl+Alt+F1 then:
>
> $ sudo /sbin/service gdm restart
>
> If you are not using gdm, then substitute your desktop manager.
>
> I had similar issue on my laptop and whenever my screen comes up garbled
> (happens once in a while on my Ubuntu Unity desktop), restarting lightdm
> always sorts the issue for me.
>

> Cheers,
> ak.

Hey ak,

Ctrl+Alt+F1 gets me the GUI screen with the mouse pointer as I described
in the email that you replied to.  On that posting I said that, on that
page, all key strokes are ignored.  There is no terminal to type any
"/sbin/service gdm restart" into.

Ctrl+Alt+F2 gets me a login prompt.  I log in as root which eliminates
the need for sudo.

/sbin/service gdm restart gets me:

gdm: unrecognized service

/user/sbin/gdm restart gets me:

** (gdm-binary:6035): WARNING **: Failed to acquire org.gnome.DisplayManager

** (gdm-binary:6035): WARNING **: Could not acquire name; bailing out

It seems that gdm is not a service.  I get the same response from the
system that I'm typing at right now.

Are you perhaps suggesting that I should restart the display manager?

--
    _
   °v°