[CentOS] No sound hardware detected for other users

Sun Nov 2 21:11:24 UTC 2014
Bill Maltby (C4B) <centos4bill at gmail.com>

On Sat, 2014-11-01 at 19:51 -0400, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> On 11/01/14 19:29, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, November 1, 2014 4:24 pm, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> >> Hey Y'all,
> >>
> >> This morning my wife complained that she had no sound when she was
> >> logged on to my machine.  ... <snip

> >> I have access to all these devices when I log on as myself.
> >>
> >> This system has been running smoothly since I installed CentOS 6.1 all
> >> those many years ago when that was the current point release.  Now that
> >> 6.6 is out I'm seeing issues with video, fixed already, sound, not fixed
> >> already, and my web cam which I have yet to ask for help with.  I'm not
> >> saying this sound problem has anything to do with 6.6.
Something related to 6.6 changes seems to be in play as I have similar
problems with sound, how X starts and automount of USB vfat drives, all
of which hve been working rock-solid since ... 4.x?

Mu difference from you, possibily, is my problems began with the update
from CR repository just before the 6.6 point release. My system became
unstable too, locking up (but I suspect heat - I had clened for a long
time and it's in a dirty room) , putting junk files in the root console,
changing the character output on tty1 to unreadbale (white boxes mostly)
when I telinit 3.

Anyway, those are for another thread.

> >> Does anyone have any idea where I can start looking to figure out what's
> >> going on with my wife's sound hardware detection?
> >>

> > First thing I would check is that other users are not logged in when user
> > in question logs in. (It may be that only one of users at a time can
> > access some of the devices - I'm on the road so have no way to check...)
> >
> > Valeri
> >

> Hey Valeri,
>
> That's a great idea.  It's the first thing I thought of.  I rebooted the
> machine and logged into her account first thing.  No joy, no hardware
> detected.

This may be relevant. I can't get sound detected when I use the normal X
stuff under Gnome after I havev all three X sessions running, and no
sound ... almost.

I normally have three logins going and the sound from youtube,
notification sounds and such work fine on the first X session started
prior to the 6.6 CR update.

With the CR update, that stopped, along with no hardware detected in the
first X session.

I was patient and hoped the final updates to bring me to the full 6.6
might fix things.

Anyway, by accident I discovered that youtube and other such sound play
through the third (that is, last) X session started. Further, that
session can detect hardware when I right-click the speaker on my taks
bar and select preferences.

How this might relate to your issues I'm not knowledgeable enough to
say.

HTH,
Bill