[CentOS] automated smtp server check

Tue Nov 4 19:49:53 UTC 2014
José María Terry Jiménez <jtj at tssystems.net>

El 04/11/14 a las 20:36, Frank Cox escribió:
> I would like to set up a cron job to automatically check whether my mailserver and webserver are up, and tell me if they're not.
>
> This script tells me if my webserver is up:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> wget -q --tries=10 --timeout=20 --spider http://melvilletheatre.com
> if [[ $? -eq 0 ]]; then
>          echo "Online"
> else
>          echo "Offline"
> fi
>
> How can I do the something similar with my mailserver?
>
> Or if someone knows of an integrated tool that will monitor this in a better way (whatever that may be), I'm more than interested.

Hello

I use Nmap to test if a server up in a port:

$ nmap -p587 a.mail.server |grep -i 587

587/tcp open  submission

Or several ports:

$ nmap -p25,143,587 a.mail.server |grep -i open
25/tcp  open  smtp
143/tcp open  imap
587/tcp open  submission

If the server is working, the port is shown as open. You can parse it as
desired to message you as you want

Best