[CentOS] Making a bootable Win7 DVD from an ISO

Wed Nov 5 18:01:01 UTC 2014
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 10:37 AM, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu>
wrote:

> On Wed, November 5, 2014 9:08 am, James B. Byrne wrote:
> > I would like to create a bootable DVD containing Win7 from an official
> > Microsoft ISO that I have on a CentOS-6.5 box.  Is this even possible?
> If
> > so
> > then how is it done using CentOS?

It's possible.

1) dd can do the job as others have pointed out.  Clone to image or image
to physical disc.
2) Use whatever other CD/DVD burning software you choose (CLI or GUI
tool).  Suggestions at [0] ... begin reading at section 4.7 for burning
tools on CentOS [1]

[0] http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/CD_burning_howto.html
[1] http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/CD_burning_howto.html#AEN126

> > If I must create a Win7 repair disk on a Windows machine then this will
> be
> > possible, but somewhat logistically challenging. I would much rather just
> > get
> > it done with the tools I have to hand.

If I remember correctly, Windows does give an option to create an ISO
instead of burning the restore disk to a physical disc.

> You can not and ideally you should not use anything but M$ tools for that.
> This is written in M$ End User License Agreement. However, Microsoft gives
> you a tool to create boot disk and system image, you can use those to
> achieve your goal.

While it may be in the Microsoft agreement, would they really be able to
tell you used dd to clone the disc to an ISO?
It's a trivial problem and one that won't come to light unless a person is
illegally distributing install discs and what not.  Furthermore it doesn't
matter in the whole scope of things so I'll stop here being off-topic.

--
Mike