[CentOS] automated smtp server check

Wed Nov 5 20:34:50 UTC 2014
Keith Keller <kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>

On 2014-11-05, zep <zgreenfelder at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd second nagios, but I think to -really- test smtp, you'd need an
> external email source, a specialized target user and cron on both sides
> (at least that'd how I'd do it, just to be sure mail is really flowing
> through).

For just testing whether the SMTP server is up (which is what the OP
originally requested) a nagios check may be sufficient.  As another
poster mentioned, he could use the check_smtp plugin (e.g., via cron,
though I agree with you that cron isn't a great tool for monitoring)
without running a full Nagios server.

For verifying that delivery is occuring successfully, you'd need more
what you described, but even that's not going to be foolproof: maybe
delivery to you is working fine, but delivery to other users isn't
working properly.  It's really up to the OP, how much work does he
really want to put in?

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us