[CentOS] Non-gnome desktops on CentOS-7

Fri Nov 7 20:41:06 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Johan Vermeulen
<jvermeulen at cawdekempen.be> wrote:

> Op 07-11-14 om 21:13 schreef James B. Byrne:
>>
>> Is there a writeup somewhere detailing how one installs a non-gnome
>> desktop?
>> I have installed both KDE and Mate and both fail with the same error.
>> (EE) no
>> screens found.
>>
>> I am a bit bewildered that neither the official KDE from centos nor the
>> semi-official mate from epel pull in as part of their install the Xserver.

There is never any reason to assume that the display (needing the
Xserver) is on the same machine as the desktop or application being
displayed.  X has always worked just fine over networks.

>> am also bothered by the fact that installing a desktop other than gnome 3
>> does
>> not in fact provide one that can be started from the command line.
>>
>> I am not trying anything complicated here.  I just want to install a
>> working
>> desktop that is not gnome.  Is this possible on CentOS7?
>>

> Hello James,
>
> the Mate website
>
> http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download
>
> provides instructions for Centos7.

yum install epel-release
yum groupinstall  'MATE Desktop'

I haven't tried that on a machine that does not also have the gnome
desktop installed, though.   But both KDE and MATE should be
alternatives you can choose at login if you have all of them
installed.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com