[CentOS] /etc/locale.conf is ignored

Tue Nov 11 19:08:01 UTC 2014
David A. De Graaf <dad at datix.us>

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 12:27:13PM -0500, David A. De Graaf wrote:
> It seems that /etc/locale.conf is ignored in Centos 7.
>
> So, /etc/locale.conf isn't totally ignored.  Perhaps xterm, or Xfce4,
> or that whatever it is awful undocumented GUI thing that starts X,
> has simply forgotten the concept of "export".

Well, I have isolated the problem to that "awful undocumented GUI thing
that starts X" - namely, gdm!

I first switched to multi-user.target, which provides the old familiar
UNIXy login: and ran 'startxfce4'.  The `env` contained both
LC_COLLATE=C and LC_TIME=C.

Then I switched back to graphical.target, but also did
yum install lightdm,  systemctl disable gdm,  systemctl enable lightdm,
and after rebooting with a graphical login, found that my two
environment variables were present in the enviroment.

So gdm, once again, demonstrates a flagrant disregard of longstanding
standards and conventions.  Ugh!

--
        David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
        dad at datix.us         www.datix.us

"That state which separates its warriors from its scholars will have
its thinking done by cowards and fighting done by fools"
    -- Thucydides - The Pelopenisia