[CentOS] Not To James B. Byrne

Wed Nov 12 16:55:25 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 9:46 AM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com> wrote:
>> That's ridiculous, you don't even know what's wrong or if it's wrong at
>> all or what you want him to do but you have to cry it out loud to the list
>> to put social pressure on him.
>
> Well, no.  Per the headers:

>        spf=neutral (google.com: centos-bounces at centos.org does not
> designate permitted sender hosts) smtp.mail=centos-bounces at centos.org;
>        dkim=neutral (body hash did not verify) header.i=@;
>        dmarc=fail (p=QUARANTINE dis=NONE) header.from=harte-lyne.ca
>

> The p=quarantine setting from his server explicitly requests that the
> message be marked as spam if it s not sent from an authorized server,
> which don't include the centos list server. So it is accepted and
> dropped in the spam folder as requested.
>
> And at the moment, he is the only list member that posts regularly
> from a server with this setting.  (We don't even see ones with
> p=reject, they'll bounce and get kicked off the list).

I guess that last part isn't true.  Apparently forwarded yahoo senders
also go to spam instead of bouncing:

       spf=neutral (google.com: centos-bounces at centos.org does not
designate permitted sender hosts) smtp.mail=centos-bounces at centos.org;
       dkim=neutral (body hash did not verify) header.i=@;
       dmarc=fail (p=REJECT dis=NONE) header.from=yahoo.com

Anyway, you can see a domain's dmarc setting with:
nslookup -type=txt _dmarc.domain.com
and see the p= meanings at http://www.dmarc.org/faq.html
In particular, see http://www.dmarc.org/faq.html#r_2 for the effect on
mail lists.
   "If the domain in the From: header is from an organization that
publishes a DMARC record, the email is likely to not be delivered."

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com