[CentOS] Not To James B. Byrne

Sat Nov 15 20:29:56 UTC 2014
Miranda Hawarden-Ogata <hawarden at ifa.hawaii.edu>

On 2014/11/15 08:28, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 10:21 AM, Always Learning <centos at u62.u22.net> wrote:
>> Why keep masses and masses of irrelevant data in an unstructured format
>> presided over by Google?  Its not logical sense.  Essentially, why store
>> a lot of "rubbish" that will never ever be needed ?
>>
> Email is inherently unstructured and searches are over some set of
> words that I happen to remember.   So you really need a full text
> indexer which google happens to be very good at.  And the storage is
> their problem...    Actually thunderbird is very nice at this too if
> you do have your own copy - I don't remember if you have to enable
> indexing or if it is the default now.

Why? Because keeping "masses of irrelevant data" takes none of my time
and when I need to dig for something there are ways to do so that cost
me little or no time. Storing the irrelevant data is cheap, my time
isn't and I have very little time to spend on something like email. I
converged on a solution that works for me and lets me do my job and take
care of my family in a relatively efficient way. Sure there are all
sorts of things I could do to be "better" but I have neither the time or
resources to devote to making those happen. So I live with what I have.

Les, I believe TB does index by default. I recall seeing a setting for
that someplace in the menus. Thunderbird's search is pretty good, pretty
much like gmail's in fact.

Miranda