[CentOS] Remote Desktop Recommendations (2)

Mon Nov 17 04:33:15 UTC 2014
Frank Cox <theatre at melvilletheatre.com>

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 19:59:28 -0800
david wrote:

> I'm looking for a way to access a GUI desktop on a Centos 7 server
> from a Windows client.

> I'm looking for a solution that works over the internet from
> afar.
> Are there any known working solutions?

I tunnel vnc over ssh when using it at a distance.  There are numerous tutorials online that will tell you how to do this.  The one and only time I set this up to run on a Windows machine, I used a program named putty to create a ssh connection to Centos server machine, and then ran the tightvnc client program on the Windows machine.

"yum install tigervnc-server" gets you what you need on the server side.  Putty and tightvnc for Windows are available for download from their respective websites.