[CentOS] Chromium browser for C6

Mon Nov 17 15:19:55 UTC 2014
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 11/17/2014 03:41 AM, Leon Fauster wrote:
> Am 17.11.2014 um 08:54 schrieb Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com>:
>> On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 9:01 AM, Leon Fauster <leonfauster at googlemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I noticed that before chromium-browser-38 (e.g. chromium-31), the browser
>>> was able to find the "external" flash plugin (/usr/lib64/flash-plugin/...).
>>>
>>> I didn't have followed the development but I presume that "such" plugins
>>> are
>>> not supported anymore, right?
>>>

>> Correct. Chromium no longer supports NPAPI Netscape Plugin API.
>>
>> http://blog.chromium.org/2013/09/saying-goodbye-to-our-old-friend-npapi.html
>

> Thanks for the clarification!
>

>> So the older 11.2.x  version, which btw has no more development from Adobe
>> other than security fixes, works with Firefox only.
>>
>> The newer 15.x version pepper based flash works with Chromium. But, as far
>> as my understanding goes, that plugin can only be distributed by Google.

I (we, the CentOS Project) can not distribute flash .. but this
currently works  (must do as the root user):

1.  Exit any running chromium browsers.

2.  Make and change to a temporary working directory ... I use /tmp/chrome/

mkdir /tmp/chrome/

cd /tmp/chrome/

3.  Get the latest Google Chrome rpm:

wget
https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm

(that is all one line, substitute i386 for x86_64 if requried)

4. extract the RPM to the temp directory:

rpm2cpio google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm | cpio -idv

(that is also one line)

5.  Copy the PepperFlash directory to the install location:

cp -a opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/ /opt/chromium-browser/

(also all one line)

6. Test that flash is working by opening chrome and going here:

 http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

7.  If everything is working, delete the temp directory:

rm -rf /tmp/chrome/

8.  You must redo this after every update of the Chromium RPM to ensure
you have the latest flash.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes