[CentOS] Centos 7 Nvidia openGL breaks vncserver

Wed Nov 19 05:35:02 UTC 2014
Stan Cruise <stancruise at me.com>

On 18/11/14 5:42 MT, Stan Cruise wrote:

Well I found the Nvidia 331.89 dvr and kmod on the elrepo site; installed OK.
Reboot, works fine on wired monitor. Still same problem on vnc client.

Another post on this forum suggested to try the Nvidia driver download directly from Nvidia. Better still, I actually had the original
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49.run file which worked on Centos 6.5. I did a manual install (run level 3 etc). It installed fine.
Same problem though.

So, at this point it seems associated with the new C7.

Either we can hope for a fix in C7, or I will have to try a non-Nvidia card.

Some Background:
I learned how to get tigervnc-server working on C7 thru
many failed attempts on VMs. I found if I did the following steps exactly, it works. There may
be some variability in the sequence that works but I did not try all permutations.
But, if I don't do this list exactly, then I would also get the 'oh no ... error at the client.
All this to note that getting this to work on C7 with systemd/systemctl is quite sensitive.

Steps:
Create new VM on hyper-v or kvm (both work fine)
Fresh 'DVD' install of C7 1406: both iso file and straight DVD install tried on different VMs.
Update software via Software app
Install tigervnc-server
copy usr/lib/systemd/system/vncserver@:.service to usr/lib/systemd/system/vncserver@:x.service; modified @:x file with
user info
systemctl enable vncserver@:x.service
verify that the vncserver@:x.service symlink is in /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/
systemctl start vncserver@:x.service

Then go to client and start up vnc .....

Stan

On 18/11/14 18:32, Stan Cruise wrote:
>/  Bare metal Centos 6.5, vncserver running, client able to connect with
/>/  perfect resolution. Nvidia GT240, driver 331.49.
/>/
/>/  Upgrade to Centos 7 with nouveau basic driver, all still works fine.
/>/  Resolution poor on wire connected monitor, but perfect on vnc client
/>/  session (1920x1080).
/>/
/>/  Upgrade Nvidia driver via elrepo. 340.58; removed nouveau via 'Software'
/>/  manager. Excellent wired monitor resolution.
/>/
/>/  But >> Client vnc connect receives the dreaded 'oh no, something has .....'
/>/
/>/  Backed out Nvidia  340.58, back to nouveau, client vnc works again. Also
/>/  tried 304 driver (only other one in elrepo for el7) - same problem.
/>/
/
If it's of any help to you I have just restored the last 331.xx series
driver (331.89) to the elrepo repository. It's currently syncing and
should show up on the mirrors shortly. At least now you should be able
to make a like for like driver comparison with your el6 install.

http://elrepo.org/linux/elrepo/el7/x86_64/RPMS/

kmod-nvidia-331.89-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64.rpm
nvidia-x11-drv-32bit-331.89-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64.rpm
nvidia-x11-drv-331.89-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64.rpm

>/  Research seems to indicate that openGL does not play well with vnc. I
/>/  cannot see any solutions posted as yet.
/>/
/>/  So, what are my options?
/>/
/>/  Maybe change out the video card for AMD? I cannot know if the Catalyst
/>/  driver will work, but there is a much more active and extensive open
/>/  driver community, which could work better than nouveau?
/>/
/>/  And I noted the Linus 'salute' to Nvidia....... Good timing.
/>/
/>/
/>/  Stan
/>/  /